Tuesday 20 April 2010

3rd blog entrie


Victor Hugo’s purpose of writing the book was to show society that people were not perfect. That everyone has their mistakes and that they all commit many. His purpose of placing Eponine in the plot, was to show and to prove to people that they were not born with a personality but instead they created one. In Eponine’s case he demonstrates that people can change their attitude towards life. “You’re here and that’s all I need to know”(Song a Little Fall of Rain). This shows Eponine’s change from the beginning of the book till later on were she gives her life up for Marius. It also shows that everything can change from one day to another without one expecting it. In a subliminal way Hugo says that what ‘goes around comes around. “’Listen, I don’t want to deceive you. I have a letter in my pocket for you. Since yesterday. I was told to put it in the post. I kept it. I didn’t want to reach you. But you would not like it of me perhaps when we meet again so soon. We do meet again, don’t we? Take your letter.” (Hugo 289). This demonstrates Eponines mean side in the story because she was mean and Jealous about Cosettes love with Marius so she hid her letter to him. As a result she died because she gave her life for him, since she wanted him to be happy even if he would not end up with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment